my Self

My photo
Fort St John, BC, Canada
My husband, David, and I had been trying to have a baby since November of 2007. After 'letting things happen', we got the amazing news that we were pregnant in June of 2008. Sadly, that pregnancy ended at 9 weeks with a natural miscarriage. After two more chemical pregnancies, we turned to fertility treatments in 2009. That decision was a disaster, with lousy medical care and poor monitoring. In December of 2009, we made the huge decision to move onto IVF. Things fell into place like magic and we began treatment on January 15, 2010. After a blighted ovum in March, we did a successful FET in June, only to endure another blighted ovum in July. We kept up and underwent another IVF in September/October of 2010 with the arrival of our son, Brogan in July of 2011! After our lovely success (finally) we decided to undertake yet another IVF treatment and hope for a sibling for our little red headed boy. Well... so far it's worked. Our story continues below!

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Oh Yeah... the Injects....

So last month (July) we started... OFFICIALLY started... 'real' fertility meds. I happily and hopefully laid down a little over $800 and went home with a paper bag full of drugs. Baby drugs.

The problem was... my doc... was out of town. I knew there was supposed to be 'some kind' of monitoring, but I didn't know how much 'some' was. So. I dug in. I was actually looking forward to the injections in some kind of horrid way.

I was freaked out, but so anxious and ready to get the show on the road. So I mixed the drugs, went into the bathroom and prepared myself. With needle posed, I contemplated what I was about to do. And... I contemplated how I was going to do it.

Finally, I realized that it wasn't going to hurt any less if it took any longer. The first time I made the big three inch trip between the needle and my tender tummy, I only managed to get the needle into the skin before I stopped. Then I had to keep pushing and it was painful... like I could feel the needle cutting the flesh slowly. I bruised. But I was proud of myself. There was a little blood.

The other times were much easier. I made a smooth motion and didn't put the needle too far in or too far out. I injected the meds slowly... taking about 30 seconds and pulling the needle out quickly. That's a big tip for anyone who is doing this. Pull the needle out fast.

And then, there was the doctor getting back. I think I was on CD12 or something and he was a tiny peeved at me for going ahead on my own. I went in for the ultrasound. I knew things weren't good when the doctor actually called me by my first name, from a room down the hall.

"Sooooonnnnnyyyyaaaaaa," he called in a sing-song voice. "Come in here and seeeeee thiiiisssss."

So David and I trudge down the hallway and there are three technicians and the doctor standing around a monitor, with my little ovaries as the star of the show. It appears I had 10 mature follicles. Um. Too many. Can you say... litter?

So. Not only did I lay out $800 bucks on drugs, but David and I were cut off having 'fun', and... AND we lost an entire month.

The good news? Yes, there is good news. I responded to the drugs like a 20 year old. We have excellent, excellent chances for the upcoming months.

Tomorrow I start my clomid again, and then the injections again on Tuesday. Wish. Me. Luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment