my Self

My photo
Fort St John, BC, Canada
My husband, David, and I had been trying to have a baby since November of 2007. After 'letting things happen', we got the amazing news that we were pregnant in June of 2008. Sadly, that pregnancy ended at 9 weeks with a natural miscarriage. After two more chemical pregnancies, we turned to fertility treatments in 2009. That decision was a disaster, with lousy medical care and poor monitoring. In December of 2009, we made the huge decision to move onto IVF. Things fell into place like magic and we began treatment on January 15, 2010. After a blighted ovum in March, we did a successful FET in June, only to endure another blighted ovum in July. We kept up and underwent another IVF in September/October of 2010 with the arrival of our son, Brogan in July of 2011! After our lovely success (finally) we decided to undertake yet another IVF treatment and hope for a sibling for our little red headed boy. Well... so far it's worked. Our story continues below!

Thursday, March 26, 2009

No Shit, Sherlock.

LUTEAL PHASE DEFICIENCY: http://www.reference.com/browse/luteal+phase

Luteal phase defect (LPD) occurs when the luteal phase is shorter than normal, progesterone levels during the luteal phase are below normal, or both. LPD is believed to interfere with the implantation of embryos.
*********************************************************

Sorry for the swearing. I am in a swearing kind of mood these past few days, and it's NOT related to being pregnant. It is, however, related to NOT being pregnant. Gawd. Did you get that? I had to read it twice to make sure I did.

Well maybe I'm not so sorry after all. I mean, I did just lose another pregnancy to what I am pretty sure was medical idiocy. The last words I said to my doctor two weeks ago, as he told me the beta results at 17DPO were a shitty '6', were, "What if my progesterone was still low?"

"It won't be."

"But what if it is?" I pressed, searching his face.

"But it won't be," stupid, 'you are an idiot' grin.

"What are the chances of it being low?"

"1 per cent; that's not the problem, we have you on clomid. That's taking care of your low progesterone."

"So if it's low this time, then we have something else totally on our hands?"

"Yes, but it won't be low."

"But, what if it is?" I asked again, about as amused as he was by our conversation.

"I'll be shocked."

******************************

The JERK didn't even act like he remembered our converastion. Didn't he read his notes on my file before David and I went into the office today to see him?

"Have you started to bleed yet?" He asks me this because if I haven't, there is a chance I am still pregnant and progesterone could save the day. I know this, and it is like salt in my womb. Ya, stupid pun, I know, I know...

"Yes, I miscarried the day after I was here last time."

"Oh, yes, I see... well, I'm gladyou came in. Your results were very low, I am going to give you a little pill... you take it right after you ovulate..."

I sat down, concentrated on holding my temper and keeping my jaw off my chest. Watched him fumble through his computer until he got to my file. "How low?" I asked, dumbfounded at his ignorance. I know how low my levels are because I went to see my GP two days ago and got the number from her. I want to hear it from his flabby lips.

"Oh, here it is.... Oh! I already gave you the prescription! Um... it was 4.7, that's very low." He's realized something is up... and I can see the SHOCK settle into his features, and he's trying to cover it.

"I know it's very low. 1% chance of it being that low. But I knew what was happening.... I asked for the progesterone before you got the test results, but by the time you gave it to me, I was miscarrying."

Abrupt change of attitude, body language... he knows.... he remembers... and he knows I remember.

"There was no reason at the time to believe you needed this prescription. You must have two low readings during your lutueal phase in order to be diagnosed with luteal phase defect."

I remind him that I was diagnosed in December with my first reading, and that it takes up to three weeks to get results back. I remind him that this was my third miscarriage in a row.

He sputters, "Three?"

"Yeah," I slump back in the chair, wondering if he ever does a history on his patients and actually writes it down somewhere, "9 weeks in July, chemical pregnancy in October, and 5 weeks this time. That's three."

"Well, that puts you in a very different category..."

I interrupt, "In a 1% category."

"Yes."

And so forth it goes. He knew AFTER my tests that progesterone would save my pregnancy. I knew BEFORE my tests.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for telling me about the blog change. I clicked on your old blog on Friday or Saturday and was stumped when I saw that it wasn't there anymore. Glad you let me know so I can keep up with you. =)

    ReplyDelete