my Self

My photo
Fort St John, BC, Canada
My husband, David, and I had been trying to have a baby since November of 2007. After 'letting things happen', we got the amazing news that we were pregnant in June of 2008. Sadly, that pregnancy ended at 9 weeks with a natural miscarriage. After two more chemical pregnancies, we turned to fertility treatments in 2009. That decision was a disaster, with lousy medical care and poor monitoring. In December of 2009, we made the huge decision to move onto IVF. Things fell into place like magic and we began treatment on January 15, 2010. After a blighted ovum in March, we did a successful FET in June, only to endure another blighted ovum in July. We kept up and underwent another IVF in September/October of 2010 with the arrival of our son, Brogan in July of 2011! After our lovely success (finally) we decided to undertake yet another IVF treatment and hope for a sibling for our little red headed boy. Well... so far it's worked. Our story continues below!

Sunday, May 22, 2011

8 Months and Counting Down

Okay.  I suck at blogging when things are going well.   Other than the heartburn (constant for the past two months), the peeing myself every time I sneeze or cough, and the rather strong Braxon Hicks contractions I am just peachy!

The baby seems to be exceptionally strong and has been for a very long time, according to ultrasound techs and my doctor.   It is slightly more than very uncomfortable when he bunches up and then pushes with all his might against my already strained and pulled stomach muscles.  For two hours.  Straight.  And I feel the kicks all over somehow.  I wonder if I'm giving birth to an octopus.  How he kicks under my right rib and then along my left hip is kind of a mystery, unless he's kicking by his head and then tucking his feet under his bum to kick again.

I have to admit that even though the movements are close to painful and distracting, even to the point of near annoyance at times, I would not trade them for the world.  I feel tremendously full, wrapped around him, as if my body has trapped him deeply inside with no way out.  At least not yet.

I've found it easier to breathe lately, and it doesn't hurt so much to walk.  I never realized how important drinking water is when you're pregnant.  I've been threatened with premature labour twice because of dehydration.  So I drink a couple more glasses of water each day.  I try to walk a little more than I want to, and I put in eight hour days instead of ten hour ones.  The doctor keeps threatening me with bed rest, but each passing week makes a possible early delivery a lot less risky, and the doctor a lot less grouchy.

I haven't gained a lot of weight.  About 20 lbs in total.  I had set myself a goal of 35 and there's no way I am going to gain more weight at this point besides that which the baby puts on, so I'm rather thrilled about that.  Hopefully I'll only have a few pounds to get rid of this summer.

Renos are beginning to take shape of rebuilding the house instead of tearing it apart.  We literally had nothing but hanging wires, exposed rafters and open framing along the entire first floor of the house.  Living in our downstairs den has been a challenge but my amazing husband put a lot of work and effort into making it clean and functional.  It's still... a challenge.  My kitchen is a tarped in section on our back deck - water is available down at the far end of the house from a rough pipe going to my bathtub!  It all works, but after nearly seven weeks I am starting to really look forward to my home being livable again.

The other bit of news is that David's new employers have asked him to report to work a little early.  Beginning of June early.  It's awesome that he found work without even looking, but a little difficult to digest that he will be seven hours away during my last month of pregnancy.  I know it's horrible to consider but we are going to inquire with our doctor about a possible scheduled induction so David can be here for sure.  I know there are some risks (mostly that labor will not progress and a C-Section will be needed).  However, we know the exact time of conception so there's no issue with a premature delivery and we know baby is super strong and healthy.  I've been induced before with no issues.  We'll know more on Wednesday when we get our 34 week check up.


  1. Where does the time go? I can't believe you are so close to meeting your little guy! Good job on the weight gain (I lost 100 lbs 8 years ago and between my m/c and 2 healthy pregnancies I am starting all over - so way to go!!!). Thank you for updating us as I am always checking to see how things are going and happy that they are goingwell!!

    Jill (WTE)

  2. Congrat's on 8 months! I love hearing you describe your pregnancy. I miss being pregnant!!! There are a lot of things I missed out on since I delivered 12 weeks early... but I just keep telling myself that I have no idea what could have happened if they would have stayed in. Maybe this was God's way of protecting them and making sure they lived. I'll take that over being pregnant any day. It's hard to believe they are almost 11 weeks old already too.
    I digress... You're doing great on the weight gain. And I am sorry you have heartburn. I hate heartburn (I get it all the time even when not pregnant). I hope you post pictures when the house is put back together.
    I didn't realize your hubby was out of work... I'm happy to hear he has found a new job. (mine has been out of work since Nov, so he watches the babies right now while I work). I think I would have to go the induction route as well. Maybe your body will remember what to do once it starts and you won't have any issues.
    I miss seeing more of your updates (but I understand because I haven't been posting as much either).

  3. Delighted to see you back, Sonya - 'was considering dropping by the store to make sure you were alright.... Lots of good vibes your way and yay for moms who consciously make the decision to have their babies when they are 'mature' :)))) !!!