my Self

My photo
Fort St John, BC, Canada
My husband, David, and I had been trying to have a baby since November of 2007. After 'letting things happen', we got the amazing news that we were pregnant in June of 2008. Sadly, that pregnancy ended at 9 weeks with a natural miscarriage. After two more chemical pregnancies, we turned to fertility treatments in 2009. That decision was a disaster, with lousy medical care and poor monitoring. In December of 2009, we made the huge decision to move onto IVF. Things fell into place like magic and we began treatment on January 15, 2010. After a blighted ovum in March, we did a successful FET in June, only to endure another blighted ovum in July. We kept up and underwent another IVF in September/October of 2010 with the arrival of our son, Brogan in July of 2011! After our lovely success (finally) we decided to undertake yet another IVF treatment and hope for a sibling for our little red headed boy. Well... so far it's worked. Our story continues below!

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Almost There!

So... We had our ultrasound yesterday and the doctor was still really happy with the results.  Yay!  He did want to do one more day of stims (yuck on more pokes), so we left with more drugs and determined to just be patient. 

David got into town on Tuesday and it was so awesome to see him at last.  We came back to the hotel and I made a pretty good veggie/chicken stirfry which we devoured before falling into a troubled sleep.  It's hard to be calm when so much is happening.  I kept waking up every couple of hours, not wanting to miss our next 7:30 a.m. morning appointment.

My veins are really tough to get, and there seems to be just one spot on one arm that will give up any of the red stuff at the best of times.  So the last six or so blood draws have been from that one place.  Let me tell you, it's bruised and raw.  Hopefully it gets to heal a bit before the next poke.

One more shot - the HCG shot tonight at 9 p.m.  I'm also on antibiotics for five days just to make sure there's no rogue infection

So anyhow, we went for the ultrasound and bloodwork again this morning.  I feel so pampered with the doctors actually doing something and making sure that I am monitored.  I never even had one blood draw the entire time I was on injectables with Dr. You Know Who in Fort St John.  Sigh.  Let it go, Sonya, let it go. 

Focus.... back to the ultrasound.  We have a TON of follicles that were all around 17mm.  Perfect!  The doctor never even bothered to count all of them.  He just said to trigger tonight and be back on Friday morning for the egg retrieval. 

So if you're curious as to what happens with the egg retrieval.. here's a picture that might help.  Those angry, swollen round things?  Those are the follicles.  They contain fluid and the all important egg.  The needle pierces the follicles and removes everything inside. 

Yes, that's a needle, and yes, it is inserted through the vaginal wall.  Yes, I will be sedated!  After all the retrieval process is completed, each egg is put into a petri dish, the sperm added, and then nature takes it's course.  Ha Ha  Like nature is part of this process.  (just kidding... no offense to the Mother Nature!).

So then the eggs will be incubated and watched carefully.  We get a call on Saturday, and every day, to tell us how the embies are doing and if we do a three or five day transfer.  So I'll officially be pregnant on either Monday or Wednesday.   If I get my period in two weeks, I'll no longer be pregnant, but until that happens (or please, does NOT happen), I'm considered pregnant.  Knocked up in a most un-traditional way.


  1. I am so happy everything is going well. I have been checking everyday for your updates! Go embies!

  2. Oh my goodness...this is so exciting!

    I had NO IDEA that they got the eggs through the vaginal wall?!?! Do they poke it through the cervix? Or straight from the vagina?

    I am very excited for you and look forward to your next update!

  3. Yay for triggering!

    But I don't think I needed to see the diagram with the needle poking through the vaginal wall. Yikes! I knew but......I hadn't pictured it. Now I can't stop thinking about a giant needle in my.......anyway!

    Yay for triggering!!

  4. How are you feeling after the trigger? I always felt sooooo full the next day. Talk about bloated (but so very worth it)! Anyway, I am so excited for you and this doesn't really even adequately convey how I really feel for you. I am positively delighted that everything is going so well. I have a really good feeling about this hon! Hugs! Keep us posted!

  5. YAY!!! I can't believe you're almost PUPO! How did the trigger shot go? Please drink TONS of water or Gatorade to help stave off OHSS. Trust me, you don't want to get it ... it's miserable. Good luck with your retrieval tomorrow! Try not to be too nervous -- it really isn't bad. Thinking of you always and can't wait to hear the egg count and fertilization report!

  6. I love hearing about PUPO!! and then when AF doesn't show and you are proven preggo!! even better :) wishing you luck at retrieval!!