my Self

My photo
Fort St John, BC, Canada
My husband, David, and I had been trying to have a baby since November of 2007. After 'letting things happen', we got the amazing news that we were pregnant in June of 2008. Sadly, that pregnancy ended at 9 weeks with a natural miscarriage. After two more chemical pregnancies, we turned to fertility treatments in 2009. That decision was a disaster, with lousy medical care and poor monitoring. In December of 2009, we made the huge decision to move onto IVF. Things fell into place like magic and we began treatment on January 15, 2010. After a blighted ovum in March, we did a successful FET in June, only to endure another blighted ovum in July. We kept up and underwent another IVF in September/October of 2010 with the arrival of our son, Brogan in July of 2011! After our lovely success (finally) we decided to undertake yet another IVF treatment and hope for a sibling for our little red headed boy. Well... so far it's worked. Our story continues below!

Monday, January 4, 2010

The Fun Stuff



Our super fertile family has this little thing where every four years or so, there are three or four babies born.  They are usually in groups of four.  Four cousins, four grandkids, four new births about every four years.  We even identify those born by their litter mates.  For instance, my oldest son, Mason, was born in the same year as Dustin, Melissa and Luke.  

As the family grew (apart) I haven't been keeping track as closely, and have to admit, the births have been more sporatic lately, with little girls and boys popping up every couple of years in pairs rather than groups.

It seems that things are picking up in the baby-making area though, I have two nephew's wives and a niece who are currently expecting (all new announcements!) and another niece who is trying (and is super fertile - just a matter of a couple cycles I'm sure).   This is strangly exciting for me.  Upon hearing the news of each budding belly I examined my own feelings, waiting for the onslaught of jealousy, self pity or even resentment.  I am delighted to say, however, that I am simply thrilled for each and every tidbit of gossipy information regarding these new members-to-be of our family tree. 


I'm cautious because I know my feeling of elation just might be part of my own creeping sense of hope, but screw being cautious... I am enjoying feeling joy and interest in these pregnancy announcements, and intend on milking this for all it's worth. 

It will be strange, however, to be a second generation mother, pregnant at 38 with all these women who are anywhere from 12 to 15 years younger than me.  hehe  I wouldn't trade places for a moment!  I'll take my super stable, boring, experienced life and throw a newborn into it any day.

4 comments:

  1. I hope that you get to be the next one to announce that you're pregnant! I know how scared you must be feeling. I remember how terrifying IVF seemed for me. The only way I got through it was to focus on each day, each thing one at a time. It's much more manageable that way. The surgery for egg retrieval is really minimal, and you will be surprised at how decent you feel afterwards. Maybe the hardest part is waiting for your embryo reports on pins and needles. Transfer was completely painless and took less time than an IUI. I couldn't even believe how simple it was. You are going to do wonderfully!! I will keep you in my prayers and thoughts all the time. You can do this!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you are the next to announce your pg! You can do it better than the young ones anyway!

    PS - I deleted my initial blog (explained in my first post on new blog).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang on to the Hope! It is a very good thing and will carry us through this crazy scary time. Your new LO will be part of this new litter. 38 is not old to be a mom. My mom was 38 when she had my youngest sister 20 years ago. Maturity just means it will be easier this time around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sonya- really hoping that your little one gets to join this litter :) I am experiencing just that....all of the babies in the family have been born to 20 somethings, so I am 12 years older at least....it is ok, I think of myself as their age LOL. Can't wait to hear about your adventures in Vancouver.....I love that beautiful city!

    ReplyDelete