my Self

My photo
Fort St John, BC, Canada
My husband, David, and I had been trying to have a baby since November of 2007. After 'letting things happen', we got the amazing news that we were pregnant in June of 2008. Sadly, that pregnancy ended at 9 weeks with a natural miscarriage. After two more chemical pregnancies, we turned to fertility treatments in 2009. That decision was a disaster, with lousy medical care and poor monitoring. In December of 2009, we made the huge decision to move onto IVF. Things fell into place like magic and we began treatment on January 15, 2010. After a blighted ovum in March, we did a successful FET in June, only to endure another blighted ovum in July. We kept up and underwent another IVF in September/October of 2010 with the arrival of our son, Brogan in July of 2011! After our lovely success (finally) we decided to undertake yet another IVF treatment and hope for a sibling for our little red headed boy. Well... so far it's worked. Our story continues below!

Friday, January 8, 2010

Paying for Baby with Visa (Might as well get the travel rewards...)

Isn't that just kind of 'wrong' in a strange freaky kind of way?  Yes, I paid for the IVF today with our Visa so we could collect travel points.  I think it's the ultimate anology of 'when life hands you lemons, make lemonaid'. 

So the costs to date: 
$530 flight to Vancouver for Ultrasound & Initial Apointment
$127 room in GP to catch early flight
$60 fuel to go to GP and back
$90 cab fare to clinic and back to airport
$500 downpayment on cycle
$21 birth control pills
$5800 payment for cycle
$300 fuel for David to go to Edmonton Clinic
$140 room in Edmonton for David
$500 for my flight there and back...

That's $8014 so far.  Yikes.  For a chance.  Sigh.

The hotel rooms are covered by our insurance, and 20% of the drugs, which will be about $3000, so we'll only have to pay $600 of that, but I have decided to get a car as a result of the room being paid for, so that will be about $700, and David will have to fly down at the end of my cycle... so that's a final $250 to add to it all...

So that's about $10,614.

I just won't be able to really justify doing this again.  I will pray like the devil for a pregnancy and/or at least 8 frozen embryos!

Sorry to bore you with the details about money, but I know a lot of people want to know what it costs, I know I sure did when we started that.  Oh yeah, and throw in some acupuncture (covered by our insurance), but it's another $100 or so out of pocket! 

Oh!  Some more interesting news...  I found out that I am going to be able to apply for maternity leave if/when I actually do get pregnant.  Sometimes I get freaked out that I am so hopeful, then I get angry that I am so damaged that I won't allow myself that small luxury without slamming my own face into the pavement as a gentle reminder of what getting your hopes up means.

2 comments:

  1. The money is crazy but at least you can earn yourself a nice vacation along the way! =)

    I love your new blog layout and header!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you find time to change your blog so often? You are amazing lady.

    I giggled when I saw the title of this post. Becuase I am doing the exact same thing. Part of why I want to go through ARC and not our clinic (pay wise) is becuase they take AM EX and our clinic doesn't and the points I get from the Amex I like better than from my mastercard. LOL

    No face slamming into the pavement! I have decided we both need to enjoy that hope. Becuase even if it doesn't work we will be upset regardless of whether or not we had the hope. So we should enjoy it while we can. Plus, I truly believe a postive attitude increases the odds! Hope away!

    ReplyDelete