my Self

My photo
Fort St John, BC, Canada
My husband, David, and I had been trying to have a baby since November of 2007. After 'letting things happen', we got the amazing news that we were pregnant in June of 2008. Sadly, that pregnancy ended at 9 weeks with a natural miscarriage. After two more chemical pregnancies, we turned to fertility treatments in 2009. That decision was a disaster, with lousy medical care and poor monitoring. In December of 2009, we made the huge decision to move onto IVF. Things fell into place like magic and we began treatment on January 15, 2010. After a blighted ovum in March, we did a successful FET in June, only to endure another blighted ovum in July. We kept up and underwent another IVF in September/October of 2010 with the arrival of our son, Brogan in July of 2011! After our lovely success (finally) we decided to undertake yet another IVF treatment and hope for a sibling for our little red headed boy. Well... so far it's worked. Our story continues below!

Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Needles

It has to be noted.  This is what I am doing every night.  These are the vials of drugs that I'm pumping into my body, causing my ovaries into hyper-overdrive and hopefully producing the egg that we might one day be madly in love with. 

Four vials of Bravelle, mixed with two vials of Menopur in 1 cc of Saline...

The cool thing between the needle and the bottle is called a Q-Cap... makes mixing the drugs a lot easier..  First you fill the needle with 1 cc of saline...

Then you reconstitute the powdered medication in the bottles by injecting the saline into each bottle, and swirling it around until it's completely clear, then draw up the saline mixture again using the Q-Cap and continue until all of the vials are mixed into the saline.

After removing the Q-Cap you replace it with the needle, and boom.  Several hundreds of dollars' worth of drugs in this tiny needle.  I would make a really lousy druggie.


  1. I have been out of town the last few days which means away from blog land!

    I have been thinking about you and hoping your treatments were going well! It looks like they are, how exciting.

    Praying that this is the one!

    Have a great weekend!

  2. Wow.... quite a few bottles there hon! Impressive. The most I've ever done is one dose of menopur and one dose of ovidrel. Hope you are feeling better today!

  3. I am such an idiot -- we had those Q cap things, too, and I was too freaked out/clueless to figure out how to use them, so we just used an extra needle to mix. Haha. Well, now I know! Thanks for the lesson! =)

  4. Wow Sonya! All this mixing looks intimidating :) Hopefully it all works out for you. This is so exciting. I can't wait to see the results! :) FX

  5. This comment has been removed by the author.