my Self

My photo
Fort St John, BC, Canada
My husband, David, and I had been trying to have a baby since November of 2007. After 'letting things happen', we got the amazing news that we were pregnant in June of 2008. Sadly, that pregnancy ended at 9 weeks with a natural miscarriage. After two more chemical pregnancies, we turned to fertility treatments in 2009. That decision was a disaster, with lousy medical care and poor monitoring. In December of 2009, we made the huge decision to move onto IVF. Things fell into place like magic and we began treatment on January 15, 2010. After a blighted ovum in March, we did a successful FET in June, only to endure another blighted ovum in July. We kept up and underwent another IVF in September/October of 2010 with the arrival of our son, Brogan in July of 2011! After our lovely success (finally) we decided to undertake yet another IVF treatment and hope for a sibling for our little red headed boy. Well... so far it's worked. Our story continues below!

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

First Ultrasound

Went fabulous!

My E2 (estrogen) was 2682 - doctor was happy with that number, and it took forever to count all the growing follies on each ovary.

So far, we have 13 follicles on each ovary measuring between 10 and 12 mm, and at least 4 more that are smaller than 10mm.  At least 30 growing follicles!!

That's pretty awesome!  I feel confident this time... and I also feel the swelling ovaries and pressure on my abdomen... It's going to get more each day from here on in.  It's Wednesday and they anticipate egg retrieval to be on Monday or Tuesday.

I will have to get up earlier to get to my appointment on time.  I awoke at 6.. meaning to get out of the house by 6:30, but didn't leave until nearly 7.  I met bumper to bumper traffic only blocks away from the house.  It was a bit stressful as I'm using my phone as a GPS, and had never taken that particular route before, but I managed to somehow pull into the parking lot of the clinic at 7:28 am, only a moment or two late by the time I got up to the 5th floor.

My medication was lowered to 225mg of Bravelle (3 vials) and still one vial (75 mg) of Menopur and the five units of Lupron.  There is a teeny bit of concern that I might be stimming too quickly, but it's just something we are watching and not really blowing the warning whistle.  David arrives around 6 on Sunday, so hopefully we get to do the retrieval on Monday.  If I can't be enjoying a turkey dinner with my family I'd like to be at least busy in the operating room producing a possible brood.  How cool if the embies were fertilized on Thanksgiving!


  1. 30???? Oh Sonya, this is very promising indeed! So happy that all is going very well!

  2. What awesome news!!!! 30 is an amazing number of follies. Grow follies, GROW!!!! Loving the frequent updates...what an exciting time!!


  3. I'm so excited for you!!! I'm glad you aren't in a cold hotel room either!

  4. Just catching up with all your latest posts! 30 follicles, wow!! And I'm so glad you have a place to stay with your friend to take a lot of the stress and loneliness off of you. You are always in my thoughts and prayers and I, of course, will be following along!! *hugs*