my Self

My photo
Fort St John, BC, Canada
My husband, David, and I had been trying to have a baby since November of 2007. After 'letting things happen', we got the amazing news that we were pregnant in June of 2008. Sadly, that pregnancy ended at 9 weeks with a natural miscarriage. After two more chemical pregnancies, we turned to fertility treatments in 2009. That decision was a disaster, with lousy medical care and poor monitoring. In December of 2009, we made the huge decision to move onto IVF. Things fell into place like magic and we began treatment on January 15, 2010. After a blighted ovum in March, we did a successful FET in June, only to endure another blighted ovum in July. We kept up and underwent another IVF in September/October of 2010 with the arrival of our son, Brogan in July of 2011! After our lovely success (finally) we decided to undertake yet another IVF treatment and hope for a sibling for our little red headed boy. Well... so far it's worked. Our story continues below!

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

All Done!

It's all in my..... hands (uterus) now... 

Everything was pretty textbook today.  The only thing we are not sure of is if we'll have any blasts good enough to freeze.  We had two amazing blastocysts that were grade 4AB (4AA is the best) that we transferred withouot a hitch.

Here are some samples of 5 Day Blastocysts:










Best Possible Blastocyst - Graded 4AA

The mass in the lower part of the blast is what eventually becomes a squirmy, demanding, perfect infant.  The little 'clumps' along the inner wall becomes the placenta... the stuff in the middle becomes the fluid surrounding the baby!  Neat, huh?

Next Best Possible Blastocyst - Graded 4AB
We had two of these!!!










Not Quite As Good - But Still A Possibility - Graded 4BB








And this is the next stage - hatching!  The upper part emerges and now is ready to implant on the uterine wall.  Hopefully that's going on right now.


I started out the morning with an acupuncture treatment.  Very proud that I am getting around the city with no stress and no GPS!  Then I began drinking water to fill my bladder and headed over to the clinic.  Let me say that I do not do 'full bladder' very well.  Having had kids many, many years ago and being of 'advanced maternal age', when I have to pee, I have to pee.  There is no waiting, no stopping, or else. 

So I might have been a little preoccupied when I was put onto the table again, legs again in stirrups, and a ultrasound tech pushing on my bladder while the cool air flowed allllll around...... and the doctor was threading the catherator.  Okay, I was very preoccupied.  Want to make time stand still?  Imagine being pretty sure you are going to pee on a doctor, and all the various scenarios that might take place as a result.  I mean, would he jump back and send our embryos flying across the room?  Would he quietly endure it, mumble something about how he thought he should have been a vet, and leave to change into new scrubs?

After what seemed like an hour, but was only five minutes, he announced that he was completely happy with the transfer and we were done.  Oh yes now I could pee!  I wasn't too worried about the newly transferred embryos, I wanted a toilet.  It was then that I was gently and firmly reminded that I was to lay flat on my back for 15 minutes.  So I did.  And it was a very, very long 15 minutes.  It went on FOREVER. 

If we end up pregnant, I will remind future child of what I went through in order for him to not end up in the drainpipe.   Okay, so the embroys would not actually fall out.  I am being dramatic.  They just want the little guys to 'settle' onto the wall of the uterus.

I'm back at the room.  I had a good lunch and a good nap.  I would love some fresh air and a walk.  That's out of the question although I will most likely open the door to the room and let the cool, wet air fill my little home away from home. 

I don't feel any different.  Maybe a little different, but nothing really drastic.  From what I understand, the blasts were just about to hatch, and once that happens, they implant fairly soon.  If they DO implant, I can expect pregnancy signs in about three to seven days.  My beta is on Feb 12th, which is kind of cruel, because that's a Friday, and I 'might' get the results on the same day.  But I am not even going to pretend that I won't be testing daily until then.  I'll know before the blood test if I'm pregnant or not.  Besides, I can always call Dr. You Know Who in Fort St John and he'll be happy to tell me.

4 comments:

  1. very good! glad to hear about near perfect blasts :) and hoping that you had a couple to put on ice, when you have time after these guys are born LOL. fingers crossed for you. very excited for you, travel safe home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two great blasts! Wonderful! Snuggle in little babies. Get home safely. You go tomorrow correct?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowww those embryos are practically PERFECT! My best embryo was only a 4CB. Other than that I got a 3BC, 3CC (those 2 were from my 1st IVF) and a grade 1 blast ... the rest were all morulas or less. So you're MILES ahead of me and I got pregnant with quads off a 4CB, grade 1, and a morula! I have a great feeling about this, Sonya!

    I am so freaking excited for you, I can't even describe it!! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay!!! This is so exciting. Now imagine they end up being twins?! :) hahaha Sending my best wishes your way and hopefully we can be Oct mommies together! :)

    ReplyDelete